- This event has passed.
The Twelve Examples of Illusion: profound supports to realize awakeness
June 12, 2021 @ 11:30 am – June 13, 2021 @ 11:30 am UTC-8
A Weekend of Zoom Teachings on Saturday & Sunday, June 12-13, 2021 @ 11:30 am PST
Lama Mark Webber gave teachings and meditation practices based on the classic twelve examples of illusion from the Mahayana and Theravadin traditions; e.g., bubbles, rainbows, echos, lightning and mirror. Contemplation on these examples allows an easier access to meditating on emptiness. Through traditional Asian examples, western science, pithy instructions and contemplations, Lama Webber shows that all of our perception and experience is illusory. To not know the extent of fabrication in all that we experience is a primary source of suffering. Insight into illusory phenomena, called completion stage with support, leads to a great wakefulness.Text Used:Twelve Examples of Illusion, Jan Westerhoff, Oxford, 2010. The text is available as a kindle or hardcopy from Amazon. PFD copies are also to be found online.
Text Used:Twelve Examples of Illusion, Jan Westerhoff, Oxford, 2010. The text is available as a kindle or hardcopy from Amazon. PFD copies are also to be found online.
The 12 Examples of Illusions – Class 1 – May 22, 2021 – LMW
The 12 Examples of Illusions – Class 2 – May 23, 2021 – LMW
The 12 Examples of Illusions – Class 3 – June 5, 2021 – LMW
The 12 Examples of Illusions – Class 4 – June 6, 2021 – LMW
The 12 Examples of Illusions – The Mirror – Class 5 – June 12, 2021 – LMW
The 12 Examples of Illusions – The Mirror and Bubbles – Class 6 – June 13, 2021 – LMW
LIST OF CONTEMPLATIONS ON
THE MIRROR LIKE NATURE OF MIND
Examine a very clean mirror. What are the mirror’s properties? Write down these qualities. Look, be attentive, relax, consider, dwell. Observe the mirror and investigate how a mirror works.
- What is the quality of the glass?
- What is the feeling of the mind resting or dwelling in a mirror?
- What does a mirror do?
- What properties of the mirror give one a feeling of the Enlightenment Mind?
- Can an image get caught or stuck in a mirror?
- Can an image stick to a mirror?
- Is the mirror ever tainted? I’m not talking about what happens to the surface where the stuff that comes off your teeth lands or splashes, or various objects or imperfections on the mirror distort the image quality. Can you rub, wash, or clean these substances off?
- Is a mirror tainted emotionally by the images that appear in the mirror? Ever?
- Can you damage a mirror by looking in it?
- Can you damage the mirror with an appearance happening in the mirror?
- What’s the quality of the reflective surface? What does that feel like?
- Look at your reflection. What is that reflection? How does it happen?
- What are the other qualities of a mirror?
DONATIONS to the Drikung Covid-19 Welfare Measures (DC19WM) project:
For donations under $1000.00 CAN: please donate via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org (account of Wangchuk Lhamo, Lho Ratna Rinpoche’s sister)
For donations over $1,000.00 CAN: please contact NYBCC via email@example.com for instructions.