- This event has passed.
2017 Teachings in Queenstown, New Zealand
January 21, 2017 - February 19, 2017
- The modern Vipassana method and Abhidhamma
– Saturday January 21 (2 classes) & Sunday 22nd (2 classes): 10am & 2pm
– Friday February 3 (evening class): 7pm
– Urban Retreat: Saturday Feb. 4 to Sunday Feb.12: Retreat schedule—morning class and interviews, afternoon and evening meditation sessions: 10am, 2pm & 7pm. No evening sessions on February 7, 8 & 9th.
The modern Vipassana method and Abhidhamma: Lama Mark will teach a three week course, three evenings a week (9 classes) on an introduction to the Abhidhamma with an emphasis on understanding and being able to practice the methods used in modern Vipassana and the Buddha’s classic teachings of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness & Anapanasati. The teachings will be followed by a seven day meditation retreat, including meditation interviews with Lama Mark. Main topics include learning to distinguish concepts and appearances, cause and effect, mental states and feelings, six senses, consciousness, the five aggregates, anicca dukkha and anatta, nibbana and lokuttara, awareness, mind and wisdom mind. (4 public classes, approximately 6 retreat classes.)
- The Inbar guided meditation series (weekend retreat)
– Friday January 27: 7:30pm 2 hours
– Saturday January 28, 2 sessions, Sunday January 29,
2 sessions: 10am & 2pm
A decade ago, Lama Mark developed and taught a series of awareness meditations that combine subtle awareness of breath- sensation to lay a strong foundation of attentiveness, loving-kindness and as a preparation for Tantric meditations, especially the inner yogas. These practices will be taught via guided meditation sessions .
- Commentary and meditations on Gampopa’s Jewel Ornament of Liberation. From Buddha-nature, bodhicitta, Loving-kindness & compassion to tonglen Meditation
– Evening classes: January 24, 25, 31: 7pm. February 1, 7, 8 & 9: 7pm.
Chapters 1 to 7. Includes meditations and mind training: from Loving-kindness to Tonglen (giving and receiving of compassion). A combination of teachings and group meditation sessions.
- Teachings, transmissions from the Drikung Yangzab Dzogchen lineage.
a) Amitāyus – Padmasambhava Longevity and deathlessness (Subduing the Lord of death through Splendour) — January 26th Evening: 7pm.
b) Reading transmission and Guidance on the DrikungYangzab Preliminary Liberating Instructions— February 14 & 15th, evening sessions: 7pm.
c) Longevity and deathlessness Practice of the Sun & Moon Amulet — January 31, morning session — reading transmission & instructions: morning group practice sessions on February 1, 2 & 3: 10am.
- Dzogchen Instructions on View, Meditation and Conduct from the Three Statements of Garab Dorje
February 16 & 17 evening sessions: 7pm.
February 18th – 2 classes, morning and evening: 10am & 7pm.
Reading transmission, Patrul Rinpoche’s auto commentary and guidance from Drikung Lho Ontul Rinpoche’s recent teachings on this text.
- Empowerment & Tsok (community of practitioner’s feast) on February 19th evening—to be announced.